HIPHI is excited to be an AmeriCorps VISTA intermediary site. AmeriCorps VISTA (“Volunteer In Service To America”) is a national community service program that aims to eradicate poverty in the United States. VISTA members serve for a full-year to help organizations expand the scale or reach of anti-poverty programs serving marginalized communities. To learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA, visit their website at americorps.gov.
Poverty – Public Health Connection
Poverty is a social factor that impacts the health of marginalized populations, increasing risk for chronic disease, disability, higher death rates (mortality), lower life expectancy, and mental illness (Healthy People 2030, 2022). A person who cannot afford healthy foods might become malnutritioned, which can impact their ability to learn at school or do their jobs at work (Ferguson, et al, 2007). Lower income communities are likely to see more fast food restaurants and cheaper processed foods (food desert) and are subjected to targeted marketing from tobacco companies (USDA, 2012; Truth Initiative, 2018). Public health provides an avenue for impoverished communities to access health care, health education, affordable and healthy foods, exercise on safe streets, and prevent diseases like COVID-19 and diabetes, so that people can live, learn, work, and play.
Why Should I Join VISTA?
Diverse people join VISTA for a full-year, full-time commitment at a host-site. VISTA members join for many reasons:
- Learn and actively participate in programs that aim to alleviate poverty
- Gain professional experience
- Join training sessions and network with other VISTAs and professionals
- Explore career change options (for example, transitioning from private sector to public section or non-profit work).
VISTA is a national community service program that includes:
- Living allowance
- Relocation allowance (for those moving 50 miles or more)
- Health benefits
- End of service award (scholarship or cash award) and other benefits
For more information on the benefits of joining, visit the americorps.gov website.
Interested people should view open positions and complete their application on the americorps.gov website. HIPHI is partnering with various organizations to host VISTAs. Please continue to check the AmeriCorps website to see updates on available VISTA projects. Here are the current positions:
- HIPHI COVID-19 Special Project Coordinator [Link]
- HCAN Research, Coalition, and Policy Specialist [Link]
- Project Vision Data and Technology Specialist [Link]
Contact Rie Kuhaulua (email@example.com) if you have any questions.