COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH ACTION.
WEBINAR 6. How to Control the Coronavirus and Bring Back Hawaii’s Economy
Join two key authors of the UHERO report, “How to Control Hawaii’s Coronavirus Epidemic and Bring Back the Economy: The Next Steps” which is currently being used by the House Select Committee on COVID-19 Economic and Financial Preparedness. Dr. Sumner LaCroix and Dr. Tim Brown provide an update on the report, focusing on the need to build contact tracing and quarantine capacity, effective testing and monitoring, and public support for a sustained response before Hawai‘i can reopen the economy. They also provide examples of the experiences of other states and countries in reopening their economies. Finally, both speakers address next steps and what to expect from both community and government as we move forward with the “new normal”.
Here are the presentation slides and some helpful resources mentioned by our presenters:
- Report by Dr. Sumner La Croix and Dr. Tim Brown: How to Control Hawaii’s Coronavirus Epidemic and Bring Back the Economy: The Next Steps.
- Potential impacts of lifting restrictions in Hawaiʻi without measures to control the spread: Covid Act Now.
- New Zealand’s elimination strategy for the COVID-19 pandemic and what is required to make it work.
- COVID-19 Community Resources, Hawaiʻi Department of Health: What is Contact Tracing?
- State of Hawaiiʻs plans to reopen the economy: Economic and Community Pathway to Recovery presentation by Alan Oshima.
- State of Hawaiiʻs plans to reopen the economy: Hawaiʻi COVID-19 Public Health Recovery Timeline presentation by Dr Mark Mugiishi.
- Permanent impacts of long-term school closures on children: Paralyzed by Panic: Measuring the Effect of School Closures during the 1916 Polio Pandemic on Educational Attainment.
Please note: Hawaiʻi Public Health Institute is not currently endorsing any particular reopening plan, but values the insights and perspectives provided by our speakers on this topic.