Aloha, Wishing you and your loved ones happy holidays as 2023 draws to a close!…
Keiki ages 5-11 are now eligible for COVID-19 vaccination. Not only will COVID-19 vaccinations protect their health, but it will allow keiki to safely participate in activities which are important to their development, such as school and sports. On our last COVID-19 Public Health Action webinar, we had the privilege of hearing from pediatricians Dr. Janet Berreman, Kaua‘i District Health officer, and Dr. Douglas Kwock, Vice President of Medical Affairs at Hawai‘i Pacific Health, on benefits and risks of COVID-19 vaccinations for keiki ages 5-11. Some key takeaways:
- The immune responses of children 5 through 11 years of age were comparable to those of individuals 16 through 25 years of age.
- The vaccine was found to be 90.7% effective in preventing COVID-19 in children 5 through 11 years of age.
- No serious adverse events among 3,100 children studied.
Resources for Parents
- Parent FAQs: COVID Vaccine for 5-11 Year Olds
- Why Children and Teens Should Get Vaccinated for COVID-19
- Vaccine Information Fact Sheet
- PSA: Your Child’s Life is Precious. Don’t wait. Vaccinate.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Education
- Checklist in Preparation for your Child’s COVID-19 Vaccination
Resources for Healthcare Providers
- Fact Sheet for Vaccination Providers
- Information on COVID-19 Vaccination for Children 5 through 11 Years Old for Jurisdictions, Healthcare Providers, Pharmacists, Schools, and Community Partners
- Updated Toolkit: Children and COVID-19 Vaccination
- Misinformation Alerts around COVID-19 Vaccination
Ready to schedule an appointment?
Visit the State of Hawai‘i COVID-19 Vaccination Locations (look for the purple tab labeled COVID-19 Vaccination for Ages 5-11). Parents can also contact their child’s school directly to see if and when their school will be offering vaccinations to students. Please note that all keiki vaccinations will require a parent/guardian’s consent.
As we celebrate this significant stride towards protecting our communities, we hope every parent or guardian is empowered to learn more and we encourage those who have questions to contact their child’s pediatrician. We have created a one page infographic on COVID-19 vaccinations for keiki ages 5-11 that can be found on our website or below. We hope that we can continue to have safe and open conversations about COVID-19 vaccination for the health of your ‘ohana and the community at large.
Mahalo for doing your part,
The HIPHI team