Natural disasters are devastating communities nationwide. In response to kōkua Lāhainā and other impacted towns…
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the public health field for many students and early career professionals. HIPHI’s internship and volunteer program saw an exponential increase in applications from current students and recent graduates. HIPHI can host more interns, volunteers, fellows, and advanced trainees (apprentices) as we expand our program areas and hire more staff members.
The graph shows the total number of applicants and interns/volunteers from 2015 to 2022. The number of applicants has increased dramatically since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. As HIPHI expands the number of programs and staff, we can mentor more interns and volunteers.
All HIPHI programs are open for applicants and review inquiries on a case-by-case basis. Each candidate is evaluated based on the availability of projects. Each applicant identifies their top two interest areas such as tobacco/vape prevention; alcohol and drug prevention; physical health and nutrition; food and agriculture; oral health; kūpuna health, and policy (various). The top 5 most frequently selected program areas by applicants are the following (applicants are undergraduate and graduate level students and recent graduates or professionals):
- Physical activity and nutrition
- Food systems and agriculture
- Tobacco and vape prevention
- Policy (various)
- Kūpuna health
HIPHI is currently offering experiential learning opportunities at various levels:
- High school student internships or volunteer projects through youth councils
- Internships for Community Health Worker certification program students. Contact: email@example.com
- For internships and volunteer opportunities for university-level students and professionals (complete our application form). Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Early career level: apprenticeship opportunities (AmeriCorps VISTA) for students, recent graduates, and current professionals. Contact: email@example.com
Visit the program website to learn more about each of the opportunities that HIPHI offers. Please contact Rie Kuhaulua (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.