Position: Statewide Oral Health Coalition Manager
Reports to: Policy Director and Executive Director
Organization Description: Hawaiʻi Public Health Institute (HIPHI) is a non-profit 501c(3) organization that was established in 1996 as the Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawaiʻi to address the high rates of tobacco use in Hawaiʻi. In 2012, the organization moved from a singular focus on tobacco issues to a broad public health mission. Today, HIPHI’s mission is to advance the health and wellness of the people and islands of Hawai‘i by:
- Expanding understanding of what creates health of people and place, embracing upstream social, cultural, and environmental factors;
- Fostering partnerships among public health, health care, and other diverse sectors to improve health and wellness; and
- Cultivating programs including education, advocacy, research, capacity building and training—to improve policies, systems, and the environments where people live, learn, work, age, and play.
HIPHI’s advocacy and programmatic work spans multiple issue areas, including oral health, food and agriculture, nutrition and physical activity, tobacco control and prevention, transportation and public safety, and environmental health. HIPHI has become a go-to organization for public health advocacy, education, organizing, capacity building and technical assistance.
Hawai‘i Oral Health Coalition (HOHC), a program of HIPHI. The mission of the Hawai’i Oral Health Coalition is to improve the overall health and wellbeing of all Hawai’i residents by increasing access and equity in oral health care through collaborative partnerships, advocacy, and education. The HOHC was established in the summer of 2019 but follows in the footsteps of decades of collaboration within the oral health community. The HOHC is community owned and led with fiscal sponsorship from HIPHI and has membership representation from all islands and diverse sectors. We are brought together with common values.
The Statewide Oral Health Coalition Manager will act in a leadership role in multifaceted work with staff and key partners. This will include working with and helping to build an effective coalition, coordination of policy research and creation of collateral, mobilizing legislative action, and thinking creatively about the strategies and tactics in engaging diverse organizations, healthcare providers, and community members to advocate for better oral health outcomes for our state. The ideal candidate is comfortable in an extremely fast-paced and dynamic environment and is a self-starter who has excellent attention to detail and organizational skills as well as a drive to excel. The Coalition Manager is an effective communicator, can build relationships with ease, is passionate about increasing access and equity to oral health care, and has a demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a group.
Hawai‘i Coalition for Oral Health. The Coalition Manager will lead the coalition out of the beginning stages of development into a stage of growth and stability. This includes managing coalition communications and branding via the website, listserv, and databases. The Coalition Manager will maintain and grow existing membership, schedule meetings, draft meeting agendas, take notes, and follow up with members on identified tasks. The Coalition Manager will increase community engagement, educate the public and health professionals about oral health and provide presentations and participate in public speaking opportunities. The Coalition Manager will also promote oral health as part of overall health by increasing the community’s awareness on the importance of improving oral health policy and practice, and gain their support for policy and systemic changes related to oral health in Hawai‘i.
Policy Research. The Coalition Manager will research and write reports on current public health policies that are being proposed at the state capitol, as advised by the Policy and Advocacy Director: conduct literature review on public health issues that are relevant to the people of Hawai‘i; conduct policy research on national and local policies; research policy briefs; prepare materials such as factsheets to inform policymaking, and prepare reports with summaries of Hawai‘i policies and visual representations of findings (e.g., infographics, charts). The Coalition Manager is also responsible for preparing testimony and mobilizing advocates to take action on legislative priorities identified by the Hawai‘i Coalition for Oral Health.
Program Management. The Coalition Manager will be responsible for the completion of grant deliverables, including evaluation and reporting. This person is also responsible for maintaining productive and positive relationships funding and grant relationships. The Coalition Manager will also seek funding opportunities for the Coalition and assist the Leadership team in any fund development proposals. The Coalition Manager will lead efforts to promote and strengthen the Coalition’s presence and position as a thought leader in the oral health community.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A strong commitment to health equity and justice.
- At least 3 years of organizing, coalition building and/or policy advocacy experience.
- Strong communications, policy analysis and research skills.
- Write effectively for a broad range of audiences, including translating complicated policy issues into laypersons language.
- An ability to connect with many different kinds of organizations and constituency groups and experience working with diverse and marginalized communities.
- The ability to drive results and to collaborate effectively with colleagues and allies.
- Be very well organized and comfortable working in a fast paced and diverse environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a team. Be self-motivated and self- directed.
- Understanding of using membership management software or ability to quickly learn such programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least 2 years of working in Hawai‘i.
- Have an understanding of the oral health landscape in Hawai‘i.
- Knowledge and understanding of how to utilize partnerships, networks, existing coalitions to improve health outcomes in Hawai‘i.
- Knowledge and experience utilizing membership management software.
- Ability to translate strategic thinking into action plans.
- Experience managing grants and projects, writing reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to conduct public presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to network and develop effective relationships.
- Effectively communicates with staff, partners, stakeholders, and the general public.
- Capacity to work in a fast-paced and changing work environment, including ability to use initiative and independent problem solving.
- Proficient in utilizing word processing, Excel, MSOffice, PowerPoint, and desktop publishing programs, and social media tools. Comfortable using a Mac computer.
- Driver’s License and access to an automobile.
- Ability to travel inter island and to the mainland if needed.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and 3 references (of no relation to you) via email to email@example.com. Please include the title, “Oral Health Coalition Manager Application” in the subject of your email.
Inquiries: Trish La Chica, Policy and Advocacy Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 808-591- 6508 ext. 6.
Deadline: July 6, 2020 at 5:00PM.