Sign up to receive email updates from HIPHI
HIPHI’s community calendar is a way to share events promoting health in Hawai‘i. To add your event, click the button below. Have questions? Email email@example.com.
Webinar: Substance Use Disorders – Making Sense of Why Addicted People Use Drugs and Why We Treat Them
September 22 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pmFree
This free 90-minute Zoom education presentation will cover our current understanding of substance use disorder (addiction) as a brain disease that is influenced by both internal and external factors. The emphasis will be on risk factors and primary prevention, brain chemistry stabilization, and examples chemical intoxication. This event is made possible through a generous grant from Nuestro Futuro Foundation (Wailuku) with fiscal sponsorship through Hawaii Health & Harm Reduction Canter (Honolulu).
By the end of this educational presentation, participants should be able to:
1. Have a clearer understanding why word choices influence addiction treatment
2. Understand that more than one part of the brain is involved with decision-making and behaviors
3. Name common medication treatments for alcohol use disorder and for opioid use disorder
4. Identify addiction risk factors
5. Identify at least one resource to help someone with alcohol intoxication and at least one resource to help someone with an opioid overdose
Presented by Dr. Jeffrey Chester, DO